Current Business Technologies, Dallas, TX
Current Business Technologies (CBT) was established in 1991 as a toner cartridge
remanufacturing company. The family-owned firm generates approximately
$4 million in revenues with a goal of becoming a $30 MM firm over the next 5
CBT is also a member of Hewlett-Packard’s SVIP Elite Program
and provides best-in-class document management solutions including
hardware, software and maintenance services. With corporate
offices in Dallas, the firm serves customers throughout Texas and
Louisiana, but plans to expand into other Southwestern markets.
SITUATION: CBT’s brand identity was
stale, its website dated and static, and the firm’s overall
brand awareness was limited to the toner cartridge replacement
business. CBT’s website also failed to reflect the myriad
of technology solutions the firm could offer to new and current
OBJECTIVES OF NEW BRANDING:
- CBT wanted to change its image from “the toner guys” to
document management specialists
- CBT wanted an updated look to its logo, as well as new tagline/positioning
(e.g. the old CBT logo used a football shape with the phrase “Est.
in 1991” as the only brand message)
- CBT needed a new website integrating new HP equipment, credentials
and the value-added services of the firm in providing these document
- CBT needed new point-of-sale materials reflecting the new brand
- A limited budget and tight timeline
- The timeline: less than 120 days to roll out: new corporate
logo, new tagline, new website, new sales materials, new corporate
stationery package, new corporate equipment packaging, and brand
standards recommended by Marek & Company to ensure brand
integrity for all future media use
MAREK’S BRAND PROCESS:
- During the discovery stage of the work, we listened extensively
to the client.
- We learned about the firm’s 5-year business plan, new
HP products, sales goals and competitive landscape.
- We reviewed the current corporate image and interviewed key
customers and employees to determine the best way to present
CBT’s brand going forward.
- We also developed a “short list” of key differentiators
that would influence the brand identity, messaging and web content.
SOLUTIONS & RESULTS:
- Despite a very tight budget, we created a dynamic new look
for CBT’s old brand, including web design and content that
dramatically aided the sales reps in talking to their prospects
- CBT’s chief operating officer said that one new $500,000
account was signed because the prospect had visited CBT’s
- Another key executive said that feedback from their customers
was very positive and “they got the message – that
CBT could provide document solutions, not just toner cartridges” which
opened doors for future selling opportunities.
- Winner - Gold MarCom Award for Corporate Branding Campaign
Hewlett Packard’s marketing team said “Wow! Marek did a great job!”